By Nick Baum
TUESDAY – 10/8/19
The Nobel Prize in Physics have been jointly awarded to James Peebles, Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz for creating a “new understanding of the universe’s structure and history”, according to the Nobel Prize committee. Same famous recipients of the Nobel Prize in Physics include Albert Einstein and Marie Curie.
According to the Nobel Prize, one half of the prize has gone to James Peebles for his work in “theoretical discoveries in physical cosmology,” which includes his findings and publications that state that we know only around 5% of the universe’s content, with the other 95% being made up of “dark matter” that we don’t know.
The other half of the prize has gone to Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz for their work in “the discovery of an exoplanet orbiting a solar-type star,” which is the first ever one to be discovered. The recipients will earn $910,000 along with a medal and diploma for their work.
Sources and Pictures: Literary Hub, Noble Prize, CNN